Saturday, April 25, 2015

If I Can't Have You by Mary B. Morrison

If I Can't Have You (Book 1) 


This is the first novel in the series, which I hope to read a lot of. I have come to learn and I come to like most of the characters. Ms. Morrison has became a wonderful Storyteller, and a superb writer. Her stories are down to earth, many peoples can relate to the conflicts, and topics, and I find that refreshing.

What I also find refreshing is strong feminine women. Please note I said they were strong FEMININE women. A lot of writers can't  portray strong women femininely completely, myself included.They usually come across too strong and mannish, or too feminine and soft, or strong, wise, and aged. That's not the case with the women between these page, I hope you get to see what I have.

As usual the formats used for this review were first; the Kindle Edition version, approx. 385 pages, published by Kensington Books, also I listen to the Audible.com version, 9 hours and 13 minutes long, narrated by: Nacole Small and Cary Hite, published by: Blackstone Audio Inc., and Buck 50 Productions, LL.

This novel started with and featured three young women, Madison, Loretta, and Tisha. Have you ever wondered about this magical number 3? --There always seem to be a trio when it comes to storytelling. Even I, myself have used this formula in my writings, and no I didn't learn this in any formal, or informal settings. I used the Trio Theme the way most writers would use the formula, which I like to refer it to Clint Eastwood classic movie, "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly."

I say this because if you look at each character and their roles,there is always the super bitch / bastard, the one who opposes the bitch / bastard, and the one in the middle who keeps the peace and balance between the two. The Trio, usually break-up along the way, and get back together at some junction down the road, and I believe that might be play out with this trio.

Now on with this review. If you like drama well you got the right book, baby. If you like stupid characters, well you got the right book, baby, and if you love hating those back-stabbing mo-fo's, well you got the right freakin'  book. The book is Good! This was a page turner for me, and I think it will be the same for you. 
 
There are predicable situations and outcomes but it's how you get there (the journey,) that keeps you glued to the story, and all of the drama within the pages here extend from a stupid-ass bet, a smart-ass dummy accepting that stupid-ass bet, and a dumb-ass who breaths. Yeah, yeah, yeah I know, this book got a lot of asses running through its pages. Hey, what can I tell ya!

I don't like giving the story away, or a long summary with all the details, why should you read if you know everything about it, but I'll say this much, the book deals with the aftermath of a stupid bet Loretta purposed to Madison, as where she accepted, which had me wondering if women do stuff like this often? -Someone please let me know.

Getting back. Madison agreed to the bet and as you would know it the bet alters her future, which she was so sure would come to pass. --If I Can't Have You, is a theme a few of these characters will hum. So like, check it out for yourself. I give this novel 5 Stars.

~LW~ 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment